Seeking out Redemption in the Beautiful World of Film. or My Excuse to Write About Movies

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Oscars 2007

Well, let's hope that the Oscars actually happen this year. In that spirit, here are my thoughts on the nominations. First off, the Best Picture race has five very good films (Atonement, Juno, Michael Clayton, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood), just like last year. Lately the Academy has been choosing really good stuff. I thoroughly enjoyed all five film, and have a review of each one. That being said, I think There Will Be Blood should win, it was the best film I saw all year. I don't think it will though. I believe No Country will take the top prize, and that would not disappoint me at all. It is also a spectacular film. Although, Juno could sneak in there because it is the only film that is even remotely light-hearted.

Best Actor will and should go to Daniel Day-Lewis, who is just indescribable. I must say I was very happy to see Tommy Lee get nominated for In The Valley Of Elah, a much overlooked movie and performane, because he was great. For Best Actress I have to say I am a little unprepared. I have only seen two of the performances (Julie Christie and Ellen Page) thus far. They were both very good. I would have to predict Christie to win, though I do have to say that her performance in Away From Her did not even take center stage in the film. It was overshadowed by Gordon Pinsent's performance. Excellent film too, by the way.

For Best Supporting Actor I would give the Oscar to Tom Wilkinson, though Philip Seymour Hoffman was absolutely amazing as well. Sadly, I don't think either one will win, that distinction will go to Javier Bardem, who was great as well. Best Supporting Actress will be Cate Blanchett for I'm Not There (which I still need to see) or Amy Ryan for Gone Baby Gone. I do have to say Saoirse Ronin's performance was very, very good in Atonement, and I hope she wins.
The most important category most years is Best Original Screenplay because it is all about creativity. This year Juno will run away with it. It was awesome to see Ratatouille get a nomination here though, I love that film. The Best Adapted Screenplay is an overloaded category, so much competition, but No Country will win that one. And that leaves Best Director. The Coen's will probably take this award, though I would love to see P.T. Anderson take it. He is truly a master.

Well there you have it. I hope the show goes on. Another great year of nominations and an overall great year for good films. Click here for the official list of nominations.

No comments: