Seeking out Redemption in the Beautiful World of Film. or My Excuse to Write About Movies

Monday, February 19, 2007

Jesus Camp

The Oscar-nominated documentary Jesus Camp follows Becky Fisher, a Pentecostal children's minister. She runs a camp in North Dakota every summer (although not anymore, after the release of the film, but that's another story). Fisher and others preach a "conservative fundamentalist" brand of Christianity to children somewhere between the ages of 8 and 13. Interspersed throughout the narrative are thoughts from the opposite end of the spectrum, "liberal" radio talk-show host Mike Papantonio. The directors (Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady) focus on the lives of a few of the children being indoctrinated (Fisher's words). The result is awkward, funny, disturbing, and embarassing.
I don't really know what to say about this film. The form of Christianity preached by most in Jesus Camp is not what I believe Jesus wants. Yet there are many things I agree with wholeheartedly and do not wish to throw out just because "fundamentalists" said them. Many have claimed this documentary is even-handed, but that is not the case. The film is very critical of Fisher, her camp, and her particular brand of Evangelical Christianity? The question is "Is this warranted?" I hate it when people are turned off to Jesus because others (or myself) misrepresent Him. Thus, the criticism is deserved. Yet, the Bible calls us to love all, especially our brothers and sisters. As the children's song states "They will know we are Christians by our love." And this love should be no more apparent than in the way we treat each other, even if we disagree. We as Christ-followers should not be divided, but unified, as Jesus himself prayed. As Papantonio states, the us/them mentality has gotten out of hand and is tearing this country apart. How can we reconcile? I believe our unity is more important than whether we agree on doctrinal issues ("non-salvific" issues, that is).
At times I wanted to yell at the people on screen, and at other times I found myself praying along with them. I felt pity for them, I felt angry at them, and I felt criticized along with them. The world is all too eager to point a finger at the "religious right." I want to point a finger too, but should I? Will we throw out the proverbial baby with the bathwater?
The film tends to focus on the political aspects of right-wing Christianity. We have to realize that mixing politics with religion usually ends up washing the power from the latter and placing the emphasis on the former. Jefferson wanted separation of church and state to protect the church from the state, and not the other way around. We must not let politicians manipulate our beliefs. Yet, God does not want us to sit on our hands either. So what should we do? That's a much longer discussion.
I cringed my way through Jesus Camp in much the same way as I did through Saved!, but with less laughing. Although it's not a fun ride for a Christ-follower to see someone put a sub-group of Christianity under a microscope, it is worthwhile. I just don't know what to make of this film. It is a great conversation starter, and I would encourage discussion on the topics raised. One thing that struck me as vital, though, is that we must love our own (fellow believers), no matter how messed up or off they (or we) seem.

1 comment:

Cady said...

This sounds interesting. You should show it in film. =D