Seeking out Redemption in the Beautiful World of Film. or My Excuse to Write About Movies

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End

Why do the Pirates movies make zillions and zillions of dollars? I believe it must be the fact that it combines so many things so well: romance, adventure, comedy, and big movie stars. It's "candy for the mind." The first Pirates was darn good candy, but the second tasted like crap. The conclusion to the trilogy satisfies, though. When we left Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) he had just died, and was taken away to Davey Jones' Locker. Now Will Turner (Orlando Bloom), Elizabeth Swan (Kiera Knightly) and Captain Barbossa (freakin' awesome Geoffrey Rush) have gone to the edge of the world to get him back (all for different reasons, none of which includes missing Jack). The plot gets rather complicated, with so many rival factions fighting over so many different things, but if you just let it go a little, the ride is fun. The buildup is long, and a little dull, but the final dramatic sequence of events is quite stunning. Usually, I get bored during the climax of action movies when the big chase or shootout happens, because you know what is going to happen. I am more of a plot guy. But I have to say I was pleasantly suprised by Pirates 3. The two main ships end up fighting in the middle of a maelstrom (which is just a really cool word by itself) and it rocks. Rarely does an action sequence satisfy me, so that's saying something.
At World's End was also quite funny, especially when Sparrow is looking for his brain. The ending is immensely romantic. I won't give it away, but I had wished my wife was there so I had someone to hold. Overall, Pirates 3 is not a great film. It has no depth whatsoever, but it is above average for your standard summer fluff.
One thing that strikes me about this incredibly popular franchise is that there really aren't any "good guys." Ok, Will and Elizabeth are good people, but in terms of picking a side, all sides are evil. Pirates are horrible people, but the British are Colonialistic oppressors, and everyone else seems to be heavily involved in the Dark Arts (which is an interesting sub-topic in and of itself, ie the portrayal of Paganism and witchcraft in Pirates). Usually, in fantasy-style stories there are clear lines between good and evil. In "realistic" stories the lines are more fuzzy, because that's how people really are. Yet Pirates is in no way "realistic," which brings up the question: why do we cheer for the pirates? We want to be bad, don't we? We don't want rules, we want to make our own rules.
Now is the time of the year when we realize who has the most disposable income to spend on movies (13-17 year old males). Just look at all the movies that come out when school is out. It is a dry time for the thinking-man's film, or the artistic filmmaker's work, but it is a good time to just sit back and turn the old mind off for a few hours (three in this case). - [insert cheesy pirate saying here]

6 comments:

Dusty said...

Dude, maybe it's because I English language theory doesn't get me going, but a "gramatic sequence of events" for the ending of a trilogy doesn't sound all that exciting. It must be some really great dialog! I was hoping for something more action packed.

Pip said...

I found the same thing: there are no good guys,and the only clear baddy is the commander. Everybody carried out mystifying, selfish actions. A viewer can't point to anyone and say, "That person is doing the right thing." No one was a complete victim except the nobodies that were killed or thrown overboard. Maybe the lack of a clear good guy made the plot that much more complicated. Good post. Adam

Anonymous said...

Kyle, not only are your blogs so well-written and intelligent, but occasionally you make me laugh outloud. For instance, the line "but the second one tasted like crap". HILARIOUS. It's nice to hear someone else say that they didn't LOVE the Pirates. I liked the first one but the second one left me going, "What??" and also, "I can't believe we spent money to see that". The effects are cool, but if I just want to watch cool effects I can watch the Matrix Reloaded. The only thing that redeems these movies - if only a little - is Johnny Depp, who remains, in my mind, one of the best two actors in his generation (The other is Leo). Great blog, as always!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and Kyle, when are you going to review the entire 3 Seasons of LOST so far?? Because, I have no idea what's going on...but I can't stop watching and analyzing. I would love to hear what you have to say about that show.

O said...

Dusty, one of these days I will edit. Colleen, I should definitely do some Lost stuff.

Anonymous said...

nice review. it's kinda odd for the third movie in a series to be better than the second. I think it's because the second one was a cliff hanger. the heroes didn't ride off into the sunset in 2. also, the third one got the fomula down better. I wish johnny depp could take his jack sparrow character out of the pirates world and plop it in a pre commedy movie. he does great slapstick. some of the action overwhelms his talent. I think the writters writ (?) themselves into a corner with the whole good guy / badguy thing. jacks a pirate so he's bad. but thaey made him lovable. he does however sacrifice his own ambitions for others in the end. that's good. the plot brings up the ends vs. means argument.

good review.
-g