Seeking out Redemption in the Beautiful World of Film. or My Excuse to Write About Movies

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Marie Antoinette

Sofia Coppola is a rare commodity in the film community, a unique female voice. In her latest film, Coppola tells the story of the famous French/Austrian queen in a way that only another woman could. Marie Antoinette tells the story of a young Austrian princess (Kirsten Dunst) who is married off to the prince of France (Jason Schwartzman) just before the French Revolution. The Revolution is in the back of our minds, if we are familiar with the story, but that major historical event never takes center stage. Instead, the focus is on Marie, and how she copes with leaving her family at a young age.
What is a woman's role in 18th century France. What is a woman's role in the world at any time. The film investigates this idea to a great extent. Marie spends most of her time hanging out with her entourage, trying on clothes, and just frolicking in life. She does have hard times too though, especially the fact that everyone wants her to bear a son but her husband won't sleep with her (at times she is seen as little more than a baby factory). One scene in particular stuck out to me in regards to her search for identity. She had just given birth to her first child, a girl, and is playing with her. Marie wants to nurse her, but Marie's chambermaid takes her away and says "we have a nurse for that." What the crap? She can't be a mother? Marie is on a journey to find purpose, but sees hardly any at all. This brings up the point that our culture doesn't see being a mother as a "good enough" job for a woman to have. But the opposite is true, nothing could be more important than raising children.
Another aspect of French court life that sticks out is the ridiculously complicated ritual system. The servants and maids maintain an elaborate structure of "do's" and "don'ts" nearly every second of every day. It seems incredibly excessive, and this sheds light upon the causes for the Revolution. Even in the end, when the angry mob is outside the palace with pitchforks and torches, ready to skewer the royal family, the servants bring the wine glass of the king over on a silver platter. How often are we caught up in the daily in's and out's of our life, the meaningless rituals we perform, when there are far greater problems growing right outside our door (human suffering, lack of spiritual vitality, etc.). What a great scene, and a sad but great metaphor for our lives sometimes.
Marie Antoinette is a different kind of period piece. It is ornate and beautiful, but moves at a unique pace. It feels different. It feels very down to earth, which is ironic, considering the subject matter. We as the audience care deeply for the queen. We want her to be happy, and we sympathize with her. She is naive, fun, and definitely different than those around her. She brings a fresh voice to the French court. (As an interesting side note, this film would make a splendid comparison/contrast with The Queen) Marie Antoinette is quite enjoyable, even breathtaking at times. Another great outing from a great filmmaker.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this movie, loved it. Even more impressive is that I loved Kirsten Dunst in it, who I normally just have to swallow like a bitter pill in order to get through movies like Spiderman. I liked that the movie took time to tell the story, and that it was a true portrait of a woman in that time - spoiled, conflicted, and one of the first true victims of the gossip mill. Is our world so different today? We love to crucify the young and wealthy for our own enjoyment and to appease our jealousy.

Anonymous said...

Opulent. It was hard for me to take in at times. Beautiful and yet like being in Wal-mart. A bit overstimulating to my hypersensitive persona. I still loved every minute of it. I totally identify with her character, and I think I see you recognizing that in your posting. If not, I see it even more now after reading your response. Career/public life vs. private life and then vs. Christian life... Ah, it is a wonderful time for the series at TNL this summer. This movie adds insight into that discussion for me. I love Sophia's work, and will remain true to Lost in Translation, although this was very well done, too :)

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

I absolutely love this movie! I think at sometime every little girl dreams for riches or possibly royalty (a long shot I know). I like how this movie doesn't just show the glamour of royalty. Royalty are people too. Marie is relatable in that she has to go away at a young age; just as we go to college at somewhat of a young age. I was disappointed in her for the affair she chose to participate in, but I could see how disappointing it would be to have so much pressure on you from people to conceive a baby boy. I mean gosh how rude of her husband to deny her! I also think the movie depicts the stereo type of teen years very well: Marie stays out all night at times, "shops" almost every day, and drinks a lot. She also throws a lot of parties. Even though Marie Antoinette was a queen, I thought the writer did a very good job of making her relatable.
Julie

Cady said...

Woo hoo. I loved this movie. It has been a while since I have seen it but I thought it was brilliant. The historical accuracy was iffy, but maybe not. I though Kirsten Dunst rocked and it was good seeing her outside of her "MJ" role. Five stars fo sho.