Seeking out Redemption in the Beautiful World of Film. or My Excuse to Write About Movies

Thursday, November 22, 2007

No Country For Old Men

The Great Coen Brothers (Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou, The Big Lebowski, etc.) have adapted the Cormac McCarthy novel No Country For Old Men for the big screen. The plot centers around a man, Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin), who finds a drug-deal/bloodbath in the desert. He soon finds $2 million and walks away. Little does he know a man of incomprehensible evil, Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem) wants that money. So begins the long chase. In the mean time, Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) is investigating these homicides, and a few others that Chigurh has perpetrated along the way.

Do you ever see a film and feel like something profound and incredible happened on screen but don't feel like you really caught it? That was my experience. This film has deep, deep truth in it but I am going to need another few viewings to grasp it. This is a film that causes the audience to feel inadequate in its shadow.

The main focus of the film centers around the question of evil. Why does it exist, where does it come from, is it inevitable, does it progress/lessen/stay the same over time and history? Chigurh is truly seen by the film as a psychopath (a term I like to stay away from because it assumes that there is no cause). The film offers no history or explanation for his evil-ness. At one point near the end of the film, Chigurh flips a coin and asks a potential victim to call it. He says that he got there the same way the coin got there, implying fate, or chance, or a mixture of the two. Is he saying that he was destined to kill people, that he didn't have a choice, it's all chance (the flip of a coin) or fate. Is this his justification for all he has done? Evil is seen throughout the film from a fatalistic, almost nihilistic point of view. One character says to Sheriff Bell: "You cain't stop what's comin'." This implies that evil has, and always will exist. We cannot stop it. Nothing Bell, or anyone else does, will make much of a difference. Yet we as humans still strive against it. The film is set in 1980, but the year isn't all that important. Evil was around then, horrific and unexplainable, just as it is around now. Evil is a disease that entered the world at the beginning of time, and we are helpless, utterly helpless, against it. There is only one who can, and will, conquer it: Jesus. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try with everything we have, but sometimes it seems as though all is lost.

The human condition is a difficult thing to grasp. It confounds us, yet we live in it. We look for explanations for why things are the way they are, as do the characters in the film. Fate, chance, God, why are things the way they are? Bell reads a story of a couple who murders old folks to his deputy near the end of the film. The couple was caught because an old man with a dog collar and nothing else was seen running away from their place (they tortured people). The deputy laughs. Bell says he laughed when he heard it the first time too. Sometimes evil is so difficult to understand that all you can do is laugh. The film even evokes some comic moments, some strange morbid chuckles.
There is a very real level of tension throughout the film. One scene involves Chigurh flipping a coin and asking a gas-station owner to call it. It is implied that the man's life depends on it. There is so much build-up that the audience wants to explode. No Country starts out very bloody and gruesome. By the end, the "important" murders are taken completely off-screen. Why is that? Matt Zoller Seitz, in his blog The House Next Door, suggests that we have a morbid fascination with all stories of extreme violence. Yet after a while the shine wears off, and we realize that it is just the same thing that has happened before. Again, it's nothing new.

*spoiler warning* Near the end of the film, after Chigurh whacks pretty much everyone and gets away scott-free he his blindsided by a random car. Just when we thought there was no justice in the world (is this a divine hand? fate again? chance?) But it comes too late. Then he is helped by a few young men, and one literally gives him the shirt off of his back. If anyone in the world should not receive help, it's Chigurh. Yet he receives grace. But it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Again, evil is truly incomprehensible.


As I predicted before, this film will be nomiated for Best Pic, and may win. No Country is shot in a stark, lonely and contemplative way. The music (which is the primary way films manipulate our emotions) is minimal, allowing us the space to think and to be confronted with evil. We have nowhere to run. The dialogue is quirky and unique. The acting is flawless. The film is masterful, but difficult to convey through words. I find that I am lacking much to say. Maybe that's a good thing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

O! I am so happy that you reviewed this movie. One night earlier this week I found that my plans had been cancelled for the night, and I had a free night on my hands. "A perfect opportunity to see a movie I thought." So, I decided to go see this movie, and had NO CLUE what I was getting myself into. I could not agree with you more when you say that you felt there was something "profound and incredible" happening that I just completely missed. And I also relate well with the part about not having much to say.

It was a very intense movie, and I feel portrayed the evil to where the viewer (aka myself) felt it strongly. But there was little to relieve this tension, which I do not think was a bad thing. But I almost don't even know what to think about it. Rarely do I find myself speechless about anything in life, especially a movie (or any work of art, for that matter), but I was truly left at the end of this movie with a very different feeling than I have gotten from a movie in a long, long time. I don't think it helped that I saw it by myself, and therefore had nobody to discuss with, but I'm not so sure that it would have done much good. I really just want to see this movie a few more times and try to figure it out. Yet I agree, just after the one viewing, that it was brilliantly made, and I enjoyed it, and felt as though there was something much bigger going on that I did not get. There were certain things that I could kind of imply about it, or more simple ideas (such as that of evil, or even the occasional commentary on money), but again, these ideas felt very simple to me, as if this movie was entirely over my head. Your words about this movie are nearly verbatim to my thoughts on it. Needless to say, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Anonymous said...

This is one of the most incredible films I have ever seen (at least it is 30 minutes after my first viewing!).

The idea that there is no stopping the slow decay of man is so poignant in this film. I feel like there were four scenes, all with Tommy Lee Jones, which basically summed up the entire main theme and then were confirmed by the rest of the film. The diner scene with the fat cop from the next town over, the scene with the newspaper report about the murderers, the scene with the old cop in the wheel chair, and the final scene with the dream description. These four scenes are some of the most incredible pieces of film I have seen.

I have to disagree with you/point out a mistake in one place, Kyle. The scene in which the deputy laughs about the dog collar was slightly different than you recall. The deputy laughs (as did many people in the theatre, interestingly enough), and Tommy lee Jones *stares* at him with the most hollow, blank, possibly even *disappointed* stare. His stare confirmed the thought that had flashed through my head a second earlier: we shouldn't be laughing at something like this, we should be horrified! We should take notice of how (dare I use the word) desensitized we have become to the evil in the world. Tommy Lee Jones goes on to say something about how no one noticed the mass grave digging in the backyard; it took a naked man in a dog collar to get anyone's attention. Then he pauses and says something about how *sometimes* he laughs too, but I don't think he meant he laughs at the morbid...his character was way to dry subtly sarcastic for that. I think he was just saying "i guess it's ok for you to laugh at that...I laugh too sometimes (in general). Small difference, and I could be wrong, but I got the sense that there was a deep message of condemnation and shame coming from Jones's stare, and it *should * have struck right at the heart of the audience who had just been laughing along with the deputy (ironically, it didn't, I think...see below).

I was pained and distressed to hear the groans when the film ended. A young woman several rows back said something about it being "the worst movie ever". While this hurt me to hear, it also served to CONFIRM the film only seconds after it ended! She (along with most of the others in the theatre, I think) could not see that EVIL WINS! It always does! This is the first movie I can think of in a LONG time that takes that on, embraces it, and shows it for what it truly is! We are in a fallen world, and the decay of death is creeping into it more every day, and as you said, Kyle, there is only one remedy for it. Unfortunately for the characters in the film, Christ didn't show up. It's good to know he will, but until that point we can only hope to keep our little fires alive in the sea of darkness that we really can't do anything to stop (dramatic, I know, but that imagery in Jones's final speech was INCREDIBLE!)

This film is terribly depressing, but I have never been more excited to be depressed! It's like reading Ecclesiastes...it's depressing, but it ends with the knowledge that the decay ends at some point, that there is still light, even in the utter darkness.

Lat's talk more about this. Soon. =)

O said...

Dalton, it's good to hear someone had the same experience as me. Let me know your thoughts after a second viewing, if you get one. I will definitely be seeing it again. Let me know if you want to partake together.
Sim, hey you commented, good work. Great insight, especially about the final dream. I will have to rewatch that one seen with Tommy Lee. I have to agree that though he gets little face-time, his character is the anchor of the film.

Anonymous said...

Yup, I'm in the crew who was waiting for you to review "No Country For Old Men".

I agree with a lot of what you said, especially about not fully getting what was in front of you. (This is where my coworker says, "What? Like in Fantastic 4?")

I'd like to see the flick again too. As for the initial viewing, I thought the dream sequence was about approaching death unfulfilled. We all have ongoing plot lines, some major some minor--What will I have for lunch? Will I ever be happy at my job? What is the purpose of life?--and you could walk out in front of a car tomorrow and all of them would end right there on the asphalt. Most of us though, approach the grave below the bar of what we hoped to achieve. It begs the question: What's really worth pursuing? I the grand scheme of things, what really maters? What Paul said Acts 20:24 sums it up for me: However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.

Cable Ray Wire said...

Wow! I just watched it. Amazing! Very strong themes. I love your reviews, O. Very nice. Still haven't figured it out.

O said...

Thanks, but Cable Ray Wire? Who are you?

Colleen Oakes said...

Ryan watched this last night while I was at a concert. I asked him how it was and he said, "I'm a little speechless." Then, "It was dark". Then "I'm glad you were at a concert".

Guess I'll be skipping this one.