Seeking out Redemption in the Beautiful World of Film. or My Excuse to Write About Movies

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Top Ten 2006

It's a tradition that every year the critics come out with what they think are the top ten films of the year. They get free passes to see all the films in the theaters before the end of the calendar year (I'm jealous). I have to wait to see many of the films on DVD, poor me. This is why it has taken me an extra four months, but better late than never. Now, there were over 350 movies released last year and I haven not seen them all. It's pretty easy to tell what is going to suck without having to sit through it (ie. Basic Instinct 2, Annapolis, The DaVinci Code, Deck The Halls, and oh yeah, The Guardian, etc.). Sadly, I did waste my time with some crap films I thought would be pretty good (ie. The Night Listener, MI:3, All The King's Men). Overall, this year was not great, though the films at the top of the list are. I would say it was a little bit below mediocre, actually. Still, I always have fun telling everyone my opinion and making a list, so here we go.

10. Catch A Fire

Philip Noyce's political thriller of Apartheid South Africa shows a human side of terrorist motivation (humiliation). It is extremely important for us to see things from other perspectives, even if we disagree with those perspectives. Also, the struggle of a husband/father was especially intriguing to me. Derek Luke was fantastic too, by the way.



9. Half Nelson

First off, Gosling gives the best performance of the year by anyone, hands down. He's the man. When I first saw the film I was frustrated. But the sign of a good film is that you think about it for days, investigating the intricacies and contemplating the subtelties. There are oceans of depth here, especially in regards to morality and human beings' ability to change.

8. Prairie Home Companion

This film just made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, moreso than any movie I have seen in a long time. Maybe it's because I grew up listening to Garrison Keillor on tape. Or maybe it's that, in his final film, Robert Altman captures the very essense of nostalgia, for good and ill. Should we hang on to the past? How much? How do we go forward? Plus, overall the film was unique, and the music was quite engaging.

7. Blood Diamond

Edward Zwick's African political thriller brought me to tears at the end (see my review, the Father/Son relationship and its parallel to the Prodigal Son/our relationship to God, etc.). Solomon Vandy gave the African people dignity, instead of us white people saying that they are all hopeless and need us to come save them. The political statements are important, but what drives the film is its relationships, specifically Archer's inner struggle between good and evil, and Vandy's unrelenting love for his son.


6. The Queen

The best biopic in a long time. Mirren is unbelievable good, so is Sheen as Tony Blair. The directing is picturesque, and Frears walks the tightrope very well. He shows both sides of this stately and reclusive figure. We sympathize with her, we sympathize with the people, we see her flaws, we see the people's flaws; it is balanced and fair. I went in thinking I should see it because it could be nominated for Best Pic, and left stunned at how good the film turned out to be. What is leadership? What should it look like? How are the times changing? What is English?


5. The Fountain

This was a tragically overlooked film. It is a beautiful, breaktaking love story that takes place along three parallel tracks, in three very different settings. Can love conquer death? This is a wonderfully original and deftly creative film.



4. Lady In The Water

I usually agree with the critics, but the critics were all idiots when it came to Shyamalan's latest. What a powerful story of the power of story. Love, Sacrifice, and above all Purpose. A tale beautifully spun, as only Night can do, the movie moves me more and more with every viewing.










3. Flags Of Our Fathers/Letters From Iwo Jima

Is it cheating to put two films together in one spot? Yes, usually, but here no. They are two pieces to one film, one epic story of war from two vastly different perspectives/cultures/languages/experiences. You can't have one without the other. This is Eastwood's crowning achievement, a beautiful masterwork. It reminds us of what humanity is.



2. The Departed

Is it wrong that it's just so enjoyable to watch this Scorsese Best Pic winner? I have seen it more times than any other film on the list, thus far. In terms of moviemaking, it is flawless (acting, directing, writing, cinematography, score, pacing, etc., etc.). I don't have a favorite part, I have ten favorite parts (all Wahlberg's scenes, all Baldwin's scenes, the list goes on). Marty is the man, the master. But there are deeper themes at work here. How do you walk the line between good and evil? What does it do to someone to live a double life? What is the nature of crime?



1. Children Of Men

The most moving filmgoing experience I have had in years. This one may creep on to my all-time top 10. It is the very definition of hope. Their world is hopeless, there is nothing worth living for, the graffiti says "Last one to die, please turn out the lights." What is hope? What do children mean to us as a society? To us as individuals? Is childbirth an "everyday miracle"? The film is bleak, stark, and beautiful. The cinematography is flawless and revelatory (should have won the Oscar), the story is gripping, the acting is great, and the picture draws you in. As I said before, I have never wanted a happy ending so much in my life. God is all over the place in this film. It deeply moved me. This is moviemaking perfection.

So there it is. Give me your thoughts, opinions, lists, arguments, agreements, etc. Just for fun, I will be publishing my top tens from the last few years as well. Sometimes I hate lists because it tends to degrade great films just because they are not number one, but on the other hand, I love competition.

8 comments:

Dusty said...

So when will you post your all time TOP-10 list?

Anonymous said...

ya children of men was great again you expert film watching and critiquing is good and makes one think O watches too many bleeping movies and might possibly need to get out more

O said...

my all-time top 10 is on my profile, but it might have COM on there now, so maybe I will revise and make a post soon with more details.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen many of the movies on your list, but I certainly will now. Is this a bad time to say that I LOVED "The Guardian"?? It's Kevin Costner...in my eyes, he can do no wrong. Except....Waterworld.

Anonymous said...

Half Nelson was way better than 8th, O. Ryan Gosling alone could put it further than that, but the movie was amazing as well.

O said...

Colleen, sorry but Costner is absolutely my least favorite actor of all-time. I strongly dislike his work. Dalton, is Half Nelson your top film? I loved it, and to make number 8 out of the 150 or so films I saw is pretty good. It could have been a little better though.

Anonymous said...

You just liked children of men because it had sigur ros ;) . (at least the trailer did, i didn't see the movie yet.)

Anonymous said...

I will hold my Costner torch with pride. You're just jealous that you didn't get to be in Dances with Wolves.