Seeking out Redemption in the Beautiful World of Film. or My Excuse to Write About Movies

Sunday, January 7, 2007

Children of Men


The crisis: no children. Alfonso Cuaron's futuristic nightmare asks the question "What if women became infertile?" We/I take many things for granted. We forget that we are not necessarily entitled to this or that. Usually its something small, but what if it was something huge? No more children means to more humanity. No matter how much we advance technologically, childbirth is still mysterious, still a miracle, still something we cannot tame. Children are a gift. Aside from salvation itself, children are our greatest gift. Children of Men reminds us of this, lest we forget.
The story begins in London 18 years after the last child has been born. Hopelessness has thrown the world into chaos. Violence and fear have overtaken the world. This picture of the future reminds us that hope and fear are in conflict. The people of earth have lost hope in the future, and now are controlled by fear. But we as the audience follow the one hope of mankind, a girl appropriately named Kee (played Claire-Hope Ashitey). Key is pregnant and must get to The Human Project, a place that may or may not exist. There she will be safe. She is guided by Theo(Clive Owen), through whom we enter the story. Theo is the hero, not because he is a passionate idealist, but because he is a common man with impure motives who rises to the occasion when called to do so. And there you have it.
The film reminds us what an incredible gift children are. They are a miracle, a blessing, a complete joy. Imagine the world without children. Nowadays we have so many technological advances in the area of stopping children from coming in to the world. Our culture doesn't like children all that much. They get in the way of our lives. My son never sits still, gets fussy all the time now, and prevents my wife and I from getting out and doing things. Is it worth it? (The answer is a resounding YES! by the way).
If Children of Men did nothing more than this, it would be a good film. But it is much more than a "social issue" film. It is a story of hope and redemption, an underdog tale of good being brought out of evil. Does this sound familiar? A child is brought into the world against all odds. People are chasing/searching for the child. The child is born in incredibly bleak and harsh circumstances. The hope of the world, the fate of the world, rests upon the tiny shoulders of this newborn. This is the best "Christmas" film I have ever seen. It also reminds me of the story of David and Bathsheba. God brings something good (a child, Solomon) out of sin (adultery). In the same way, a child (good) is brought out of Kee's sexual promiscuity (she gets around, to put it mildly).
Another theme that permeates the film is a rejection of redemptive violence. Hollywood tends to tell us that if we just get the biggest guns, all our problems will be solved. There are two conflicting ideas in Children of Men. One is that the child should be rescued, brought to the Human Project. The other is to use the child as a rallying cry to rise up against the government, through violence. The Fishes, the rebels, believe that violence will bring about redemption. Theo rejects this idea, as does Kee. Our hope is in life, not death.
There has been much talk lately about Christians not only being Pro-Life with regard to abortion, but Pro-Life in all areas of life. This film, I believe, is for Life. The hope of the world rests in Life, not death.
As a side note, pay close attention to the scene that begins with the ping-pong ball being passed back and forth. It's unbelievably good filmmaking.
I have decided, in a moment of rapture, that this is the best movie I have seen all year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kyle,
Ryan and I looked at your blogs! I think we have decided that not only are you our favorite film critic, but that we are going to go see the movies that you recommend. You have a talent!

O said...

Thank you very much.

Joe Unrein said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe Unrein said...

O!
I actually went and watched one of your movies.
In all honesty, I went into this thinking that it wouldn't be all that good. And for a while, I wasn't impressed. It wasn't until I got to the car chase, then I started to enjoy it.
I have to say that I liked it because it gave us 2 people, and neither of them are superheroes, there is nothing special.
There were all kinds of twists, such as the terrorists, and what's his name that killed Julien. It (literally) kept me on the edge of my seat throughout most of the film.
-Joe

O said...

Sweet Joe. I'm glad you liked it. I especially like Theo too, almost an anti-hero, running around in flipflops, saving the world.

Anonymous said...

Ryan and I just finished watching the movie (we started late...we are trying to make it to 12:01 so we can go get the new Harry Potter at King Soopers and read it before someone ruins the ending for us) and we really liked it. Once again, I'm going to have to marinate on it for awhile, but I was terrified by its disturbing, yet, envisionable future. The movie made me tear up quite a few times, and really made you appreciate the beauty of children. Wow. This might change the way I feel about babies crying on a plane. It really is such a beautiful sound. Great movie recommendation.