Seeking out Redemption in the Beautiful World of Film. or My Excuse to Write About Movies

Monday, July 2, 2007

Transformers

Michael Bay (Pearl Harbor, Armageddon, and a bunch of other crap) is the world's most horrific director, he makes me want to vomit all over myself. But if I wanted one movie to be over-the-top Hollywood, it would be Transformers. This film totally rocks.
Yes, a lot of it has to do with the fact that I played with them as a kid. If you don't know the toys/show from the 80's, the movie will probably suck. This is a big budget nostalgia-fest for children of the 80's, and it does that job very well. I had a great time. Optimus Prime's voice is so soothing, it takes me back to first grade, sitting in front of the television on a Saturday morning. Ah yes, Bumblebee, Starscream, Jazz, Megatron, the list goes on.
Of course the film lacks any depth whatsoever. It is here to entertain, and boy does it ever. Transformers is fun to watch, but also hilarious. So many great lines. Good times had by all. It does exactly what we expect it to do.
On the drive home, I actually thought that the film does a pretty good job of exemplifying an ancient religious system, Zoroastrianism (I am sure it is purely by coincidence). Zoroastrianism surfaced in the Ancient Near East about 500-700 bc. Zoroaster taught that the world was at war. This war was between the good god and the bad god (Ahura Mazda and Aura Manyu). Everyone on earth must choose a side, but the ultimate battle is really fought between the gods. In Transformers, the humans participate, but really they are just there because humans are the ones buying the tickets. The battle is really between the gods/robots. It is a cosmic battle, and only one side can win. The fate of the world hangs in the balance. So there you have it, an extremely simplified version of Zoroastrianism: Transformers.
But back to the explosions, car/robot chases, and one-liners. Shia LaBoeuf rocks in his role as the pathetic but eventually heroic teenager. Turturro is great. The rest of the cast is alright. There were a few disappointments, like the lack of "transforming" sounds from the original show (only one), the obnoxious product placement, and a few other nit-picky things. But all in all, Transformers delivers the entertainment goods to all of us who long to be nine again, if only for a few hours.

4 comments:

Ryan Oakes said...

No Transformer transforming sounds!! I live for that sound. Takes me back...those were the days, GI-Joe, Transformers, Mask...ah yes...(downing in own nostalgia). Thanks for the review, I was kinda worried about this movie, that it would simply be horrible. Now I think I'll watch it.

Barb O said...

I enjoyed hearing about "back in the day" of the 1980's !!! I can even remember the names of the transformers. I also remember thinking that they were very creative toys and made kids use their imaginations. Great for the transformer kids, but I think I will pass on seeing the movie.
Your Mom, Barb O

Pip said...

Just saw the movie, entertaining, however, the presentation of the military was so over the top positive, that it bordered on propoganda in my mind. Didn't think of the connection between Transformers and Zoroastrianism. Good one.

Cady said...

I am pretty sure there was nothing in this movie I didn't like. Fourteen. That is how many times I have seen this movie. Me and a group of people went over to Jerry's and watched it and seeing AJ so into made it even better. It really is for all ages. Usually action films aren't my favorite but apparently all you have to do is add robots and I am all over it.