Seeking out Redemption in the Beautiful World of Film. or My Excuse to Write About Movies

Friday, October 5, 2007

Oscar Predictions that are bold as all get out

I thought I would take a wild stab at predicting the Oscars five months in advance, then I can go back and show everyone what a genius I am (or more likely what an idiot I am). So, here we go:
Best Picture

The nominees will be:

There Will Be Blood

Atonement

No Country For Old Men

and the other two I am not so sure about, so let's say two of the following: Elizabeth, Into the Wild, The Kite Runner, American Gangster.

There are a whole bunch of web sites where you can get really early predictions, and they are usually wrong (like Dreamgirls last year and Cinderella Man the year before), and I do check those regularly, so I can't claim complete innovation. Yet I am very confident in my top three, and predict here and now, on October 5th, that the Coen's No Country For Old Men will take the top prize. The Academy owes it to them for not giving BP to Fargo (instead they went with the crappy The English Patient). It looks dark, disturbing, and very, very good. This will be a great year for Tommy Lee Jones too (not only for NCFOM but also In The Valley of Elah, which might get him a statue for Best Actor). I have no clue on actress at this point. I hope beyond hope that Paul Thomas Anderson will get Best Director, and so far he has been getting good buzz.

Hooray for pointless predictions! Go out there and see some movies folks, as all the good ones are coming out soon, or are already out.

No comments: