Seeking out Redemption in the Beautiful World of Film. or My Excuse to Write About Movies

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Oscars

Well, it's that time again; the night when the movie business pats itself on the back: the Oscars. Sunday night we will have a whole new set of awards to argue about. So without further ado, here's my input. I will briefly cover the "main categories" and then focus in on best picture.

Director: Who showed their mastery in filmmaking this year? Best Director is all about execution, and no one executed better than Martin Scorsese. Not only does he deserve an Oscar more than anyone breathing, but this year he made a film that deserves an Oscar too. Eastwood did a fantastic job as well, but he already has two directing statues. I know you can't look at it that way though, so let me say that if he was nominated for both Letters and Flags, he should win, but since it's just one film, he is just a little behind Marty. Frears' The Queen was a great film. He did a great job directing. Greengrass was original and creative with his handling of 9/11 in United 93. Inarritu's Babel ... well I'll get to that later.

Will Win: Scorsese
Should Win (at the top of my lungs): Scorsese

Actress: I am lagging in this category. I have only seen The Queen, but I do have Prada at home to watch this week. I know it's not fair to say someone should win if you haven't seen all the performances, so I can't go that far. But let me say that Mirren did such a wonderful job of restrained elegance that she deserves the Oscar. I have not seen such a great performance by an actress in many years, in fact I can't think of any performance this century that was as in-tune with her character. She is the front-runner for good reason.
Will Win: Helen Mirren
Should Win (I know it's not fair): Helen Mirren

Best Actor: Again facing deficiencies, I admit I have not seen Happyness or Venus, but I'm sure they are great performances. Out of the three that I have seen I would have to go with Gosling. His eyes communicate more feeling than many actors' entire beings. Powerful, subtle, and vulnerable performance. Whitaker was great as Idi Amin, but it felt more like a Supporting Actor role. Leo was much better in The Departed than Blood Diamond, I just couldn't get over that accent.
Will Win: Forest Whitaker
Should Win: Ryan Gosling

A few other hopes, some being longshots: Djimon Hounsou for Best Supporting Actor, fantastic job. Children of Men for Cinematography, because not only is it beautifully shot but the best movie of the year needs to be recognized for something. Abigail Breslin for Best Supporting Actress. And the most important category at the Oscars, Best Original Screenplay, The Queen or Pan's Labyrinth.
.
Ok, on to the big one. Best Picture: Babel is a picture that weaves together three narratives from seemingly unrelated locales: Morocco, Japan, and America/Mexico. It is a story of pain, loss, and consequence. I will catch a lot of flack for this one, but Babel was melodramatic, contrived, and lacked depth. I understood what Inarritu was trying to do, but it just didn't hit me like it did others. I loved the Moroccon storyline, and the Japanese one was pretty good, but the Mexican thread was ridiculous. In some circles it is the favorite, but this film does not deserve to win. It is "high-minded" and addresses globalization, which is an important issue, but something was missing. Little Miss Sunshine was cute, fun, and made some great points. Yet, it's not quite Best Pic quality. Letters From Iwo Jima is a fascinating picture, well-deserving of the nomination. It should be coupled with Flags of our Fathers, though. Together, they make an incredible feat of filmmaking, but Letters on it's own is not quite as powerful. The Queen had depth coming out its ears, there are layers upon layers here. It is critical of the monarchy, yet critcal of the people as well. It is even-handed, fair and balanced. I will not be disappointed if either of the last two films mentioned win, although that is highly unlikely. But, the Best Picture award should go to The Departed. This is filmmaking perfection. Yes, it isn't wholesome, it does not "send a message" per se, and it is not what people would call "important." It is raw, honest, and perfectly executed.

Will Win: Babel or The Departed or Little Miss Sunshine
Should Win: The Departed

And there you have it. Let the debates begin. That is what makes awards to great, you can argue even after the award has been given. Everyone can have an opinion. This year's BP race is especially close, it could go to any of three movies. It will go down to the wire.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you found Babel "melodramatic, contrived, and lacking depth" and I found The Departed "an almost laughable caricature of American life", we'll have to meet half way on Letters From Iwo Jima which we both found awesome. Lets hope it wins.

Anonymous said...

I really hope that Leonardo wins an Oscar this year. After I saw the Aviator, I was completely convinced that he has come out of his Titanic (sigh. I love that movie. I'm such a girl) days swimming in sheer talent.


I have only seen two of the Best Picture nods, so out of those two, I'm with you - The Departed should win it.

We are watching the Black Dahila tonight. Brain junk for sure, but sometimes you need to just become a pile of mindless goo and stare at a screen.

chris wilke said...

you were right on with many of your predictions. thoughts now that the Oscars are over?

O said...

Ok, so reactions to the Oscars. I was 16 for 21 on my predictions sheet last night. Missed Foreign Language, very suprised there. Missed supporting actor, and I'm glad because Eddie Murphy with an oscar? Overall, very happy with the results, the best obviously being Martin Scorsese getting the director statue. What a classy guy. Everyone else was very deserving too. I had a great time with friends, arguing, enjoying, celebrating, etc.

Dusty said...

Not to be anal but you wrote "Marin Scorsese" and I assume you meant "Martin Scorsese".

O said...

Crap.